This post may contain affiliate links, my full disclosure can be read here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tacos are one of my favourite quick meals but what is better than tacos? This Taco Twist Casserole!
It has all the flavours of tacos ground meat, salsa, peppers, sour cream and shredded cheese but adding pasta and baking it turns this into a dish that my children love! Yes, I have a few children that hate tacos, really I’m not joking. They simply won’t eat a taco but they love this casserole and go back for seconds every time.
This casserole freezes really well to. Save yourself stress on the crazy busy days and make a double or triple batch and freeze them.
First, you need to cook your pasta. Bring your water to a boil and cook your corkscrew pasta until it’s about half cooked. I like to cook it for 5 to 6 minutes.
In a frying pan brown your ground beef then drain the fat off. Stir in your taco seasoning mix, green peppers and salsa. Then bring your meat mixture to a boil and remove it from the heat.
Drain your pasta and mix in the sour cream and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Spoon your pasta mix into a casserole dish. Don’t make the mistake I did and put the meat mixture in first. Yup, I needed more coffee before I started cooking today!
Once you’ve spread your pasta mixture out in your casserole dish top it with your ground beef and salsa mixture. Then top it with the rest of your shredded cheese.
At this stage, you can either cover your casserole dish with foil and freeze it to enjoy later or cook it right away.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or beef
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning Packs
- 15 oz Salsa
- 4 cup Chopped green peppers
- 3 cups Corkscrew macaroni, cooked (8 oz)
- 1 cups Shredded cheese
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Brown ground beef/turkey and drain.
- Stir in the seasoning mix, tomato sauce or salsa, and green peppers. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Combine cooked noodles (under-cooked - I did about 5 - 6 minutes), ½ cup cheese, and sour cream.
- Place mixture on bottom of dish. Top with meat mixture and remaining cheese.
- If freezing cover your baking dish well with foil, label and freeze.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min or freeze in casserole dish. Thaw completely before baking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 777mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate, this information is for informational purposes only please consult a nutritionist for more information and guidance.
Kim Mills is a homeschooling mom of 6 and lives on an urban homestead in Ontario, Canada. Blogging at Homestead Acres she enjoys sharing tips to help you save money, grow and preserve your own food.