This post may contain affiliate links, my full disclosure can be read here.
Learn how to start your own money making blog!
One of my hubby’s favorite suppers is Shepherd’s pie. I’ve experimented with different variations over the years. So far this is our favorite. I made this for supper yesterday, all the ingredients except the beef were from our gardens last summer. The beef is from a local farmer. I love having home canned foods on hand to make cooking go quicker!
A note on the recipe below. The spice measurements are approximate, by “eyeball”. I rarely measure spices when I’m cooking. Before serving simply adjust the spices to suit your family’s taste.Print
Family Favorite Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Prep Time: 00:15
- Cook Time: 00:40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 1 pint (2 cups) peas
- 1 tps salt
- 1 Tbs. parsley
- 1 Tbs. basil
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbs. pepper
- mashed potatoes
- Fry ground beef until browned.
- Add onions and cook until meat is done and onions start to soften.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and peas. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Spread meat mixture into a baking pan and top with mashed potatoes.
- If desired sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and parsley.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the top starts to crisp.
Kim Mills is a homeschooling mom of 6 and lives on an urban homestead in Ontario, Canada. Blogging at Homestead Acres she enjoys sharing tips to help you save money, grow and preserve your own food.